Using Yoga and Art to Empower At-Risk and Exploited Teen Girls
Next Training is on March 3-4, 2017. Online registration is now open.
At The Art of Yoga Project we specialize in working with at-risk, exploited and incarcerated teen girls offering trauma-informed and strength-based programming. This training is for yoga teachers who want to expand their knowledge in working with at-risk girls in their own communities, or with other organizations that work with this specific population. Participants will learn about The Art of Yoga Project’s integrated approach to teaching yoga in juvenile detention, therapeutic treatment and alternative school facilities, the value of integrating creative expression into yoga classes, and tips and techniques for understanding and effectively handling issues specific to teen girls caught in cycles of trauma and abuse.
- The Art of Yoga Project’s gender-responsive, strength-based, culturally-sensitive and trauma-informed programming approach;
- How to effectively partner with juvenile justice, therapeutic treatment, and school facilities;
- Issues facing teen girls and how they manifest in the classroom (such as substance abuse, developmental trauma, sexual trafficking and mental health disorders);
- Tips and techniques for teaching yoga to this specialized population and how to effectively manage behavioral problems and other classroom challenges; and
- How and why to integrate art and writing into yoga classes with girls and a sample lesson plan based on The Art of Yoga Project’s Yoga & Creative Arts Curriculum.
Please bring a yoga mat, water bottle, notebook, pen and a bolster/meditation cushion for comfort.
Registration: $300 Early bird: $250 includes all materials and a healthy light lunch on Saturday
Early bird Registration until January 30, 2017 , Registration is non-refundable.
Time & Location:
Sobrato Center for Nonprofits – Redwood Shores
350 Twin Dolphin Drive, Shoreway Conference room
Redwood City, CA 94065-1455
March 3, 2017 – 1-7 pm
March 4, 2017 – 9 am- 2 pm
To Register – Click Here